The High Five! Children's Cooking and Nutrition Program
To teach school aged children, ages 8 - 12, about nutrition, healthy eating, simple cooking and cultural models for meals. In addition, the purpose is to teach school aged children the relationship between healthy eating and exercise, lifelong good health and the pleasures of fresh food in a classroom or community program setting.
What will they learn?
- knowledge of the new "healthy eating pyramid" and the 3-4-4 method of eating
- the pleasures of fresh food
- information and methods on increasing physical activity
- information and encouragement on decreasing sedentary behaviors
What are the goals?
- for children to eat better and associate healthy eating with lifelong good health and a healthy planet
- for children to learn how to chart their food intake and physical activity
- to have a generation of children making healthier lifestyle choices (increase in fresh foods, increase in exercise, decrease in sedentary behaviors)
Part I: The Basics
There are 8 lessons, which includes cooking from:
- Middle East
- The Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Spain)
- Local Option
Each lesson consists of:
- History, Geography, Culture and Food from each country/region
- Cooking Lesson and Tasting Health and Nutrition Segment
- Environmental Lesson
- Clean up
Each lesson is approximately 70 minutes (includes set up and clean up).
Includes two instructors per program.
Part II: The Program
The High Five! Children's Cooking and Nutrition program will begin in September and continue through May.
Staffing will consist of a multi-disciplinary team. Those delivering services will be the:
- High Five! Coordinator/R.D.
- The High Five! Instructors
The High Five! program is designed to educate children in the community. After school programs (such as the YMCA, YWCA, Boys and Girls Club), public/private schools, and homeschooling co-op programs are eligible to participate and invited to contact us.
For more information on this program, contact our High Five! Coordinator at: 818.377.5120 or e-mail us at: info @ cayennewellness.org to learn how your organization can take part in this program.