Group Seminars on Health Promotion
To provide nutritional education and emotional support to children, adolescents and their families who are obese and/or malnourished. To provide education and training to women during pregnancy or after the birth of their child so that good nutritional habits and positive self-esteem can be formed at an early age. To meet the needs of the general population looking for a successful program to achieve optimal health. We are dedicated to serving children, adolescents, their families and the general population improve their physical health and emotional development.
What will they learn?
Through active parental involvement (for persons under age 18) or active support system involvement (if over age18) participants will learn to:
- increase their physical activity;
- decrease their sedentary behaviors;
- modify their eating style by implementing the New Healthy Pyramid (developed by Oldways) and the 3-4-4 method of eating (developed by Dr. Carolyn Rowley); and
- identify those issues that have impeded their success for achieving weight loss (weight management) and healthy eating (psychotherapy via group, family, and individual).
What are the goals?
- successful behavioral change in eating habits
- an increase in positive self-esteem
- a lower incidence of obesity in children and adolescents
- to reduce the risk for chronic diseases which are complications of obesity and poor nutrition
- to improve the nutritional health of the public and to assist every individual achieve optimal health
Family Based Intervention Program
Group seminars for children/adolescents and their parent(s) ages 8.5 years and up consist of eleven week classes presented on either:
- Saturday: 10:00 am - 12:45 pm (lunch included)
- Saturday: 3:00 pm - 5:45 pm (dinner included)
Early Nutrition Intervention Program
Group seminars for pregnant women and their spouse/significant other or mothers of newborn children and their spouse/significant other. Consist of six week classes. This program is a modified version of the family based intervention program.
Chronic and Acute Illness Program
Group seminars for children, adolescents and adults with a chronic or acute illness. Illnesses range from breast and prostate cancer survivors to diabetes and sickle cell anemia. Consist of six week classes. This program is a modified version of the family based intervention program.
General Nutrition lntervention Program
Group seminars for the general population desiring to live a healthier lifestyle. Consist of six week classes. This program is a modified version of the family based intervention program.
THE DOROTHY MCDANIEL CHILD CARE CENTRE
Childcare will be provided (at no extra charge) for ages birth to 12 years old during the group nutritional seminars.
Staffing will consist of a multi-disciplinary team. Those delivering services will be the:
- Executive Director
- Senior Psychologist
- Post Doctoral Fellows in Psychology
- Social Worker
- Child Care Specialist
All seminars will be held at Cayenne Wellness Center and Children's Foundation in Glendale, California.
For more information on our our Group Seminars, contact the Reception Center at: 818.377.5120 or e-mail us at: info @ cayennewellness.org